Wednesday, March 26, 2008

March Wine club - Syrah/Shiraz

I promise, I do more than just drink... I am just playing catch up!



March was Syrah/Shiraz. The difference? Technically Shiraz comes from Australia... however some smarties in the industry (I found) actually used Shiraz even though they are from California. Oooh... I am so telling.

What I found: I like Syrah! I liked 4 out of the 6 this month. Well, I guess 4 out of the 7. We cooked one bottle of wine on the stove to taste what a "cooked" bottle tastes like. Cooked is when it is exposed to too much heat during delivery to the store.

The Lineup:
#1 2006 Three Winds Syrah From France $8.49
#2 2005 Delicato Shiraz CA (You are so in trouble!) $4.99
#3 2005 Alexander Valley Vineyards Syrah CA $13.99
#4 2006 Charles Shaw Shiraz CA (Again... oooohhhhh.... since when is CA in Australia?) $2.99
#5 D'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz Australia (At least these guys can say it and mean it!) $13.69
#6 Coppola Cabernet Sauvignon (Didn't write from where it comes) $13.79

So, I guess really there were only 5 contenders in the Shiraz/Syrah lineup and I liked 4! The only one I didn't like was #3. I really liked the Charles Shaw. 3 buck Chuck to the rescue (You can find this at Trader Joes). Gotta love a great wine at a super price...

Speaking of price... when choosing a wine... price does not always mean better... it just means there is less available or that they have brand recognition and then they think they can charge an arm and a leg.

This month we had pizza... yeah, surprizing... pizza and Syrah go really well together. We had a Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza and a Salami and Black Olive Pizza. Both super tasty and pretty easy to make. Which makes the Kitchenphobic side of me very happy. No burns, cuts or other injuries! I am 3 for 3.... crud... I am actually getting decent in the kitchen. Ok, nobody tell my husband I said that!

I hope someone is getting something out of this! I am enjoying sharing my findings. Let me know if you buy any of the wines I suggest... and let me know if you like any of them!

Happy Sipping!
Angie

3 comments:

Lesa said...

Roger is a 3 buck chuck Shiraz lover!..I love that it is so cheap and he enjoys it!

nwscrapmom said...

I didn't know that about Shiraz... you taught me something new. We also like the 3 Buck Chuck Shiraz. Have an open 3BC Cab Sauv right now, but I don't really care for it. Think it is time to go buy a few more bottles... I see we're out of Shiraz right now. Bummer!

lynette said...

Looks like a lot of fun!! I am still wanting to do this one day :)